Watford Ultra's - Surely not?
What it was that he brought to my attention was the `Rookery Ultras` group on Facebook - membership just 99, thankfully. The conversation precluding this discovery went something like this:
Him: I hear Watford are trying to start up a firm?
Him: Yeah, here`s the link - Rookery Ultras
I quickly scuttled over to said group to see what was afoot and sure enough a group of 'fans` have set out the following mission statement, for those of you not up on the ways of Facebook or those of you who refuse to engage, here it is -
I have had enough with being embarrassed by the inconsistent support from The rookery.
We need formal change for those who have season tickets at the top of the rookery.
The main ideologies of an 'ultra' are:
1) non stop singing
2) standing up during games
3) Banners, Flags and colourful support.
Other clubs have similar groups and the idea has dramatically improved atmosphere. Such as Portsmouth, Crystal Palace, Aldershot, Accrington, Crewe. Celtic, Aberdeen and St Pauli. Just youtube those teams to see the noise they create.
I do realise Watford are a family club, so this is just the top end of the rookery/vic road end :)
So where do I start? In case you hadn`t notice I appose this entirely for any number of reasons.
1. Ultra`s The term associated with fiercely fascist, racist hooligans at clubs largely in Italy and Eastern European countries. A negative term and certainly not one that should be associated with any club in a civilised society and league, let alone on that prides itself so fiercely on its family club tag.
2. Embarrassed - really? We`re by no means the most vocal support and we of course should get behind our team as vocally as possible but I think to label our support embarrassing will alienate more fans from the cause than it will ally.
3. Standing up during games No chance, not allowed at present due to 'health and safety` and not likely to change any time soon, even if it is a ridiculous rule.
4. The Current Situation We already have enough of a divide in the Rookery with the small group located at the back to the right in competition with the traditionally vocal group in the middle at the back. This causes enough rivalry and intimidation as it is, another is another one too many.
All this is probably irrelevant as the people behind it won`t get the numbers to get this idea of the ground however it has irked me all the same.
The chances are that many of those who are members of this proposed group have only been going for a few years, i.e. since we started doing well around 2005/2006 under Aidy.
Essentially I can`t see any positives from this and I doubt this youthful group will present the right image of the club or use this as a tool to support the club 'better`. I hope nothing comes of this; though I certainly will be keeping my eye on the group.
HAVE YOUR SAY -
-> Am I going over the top?
-> Would this be a good thing?
-> What could be done to improve home support?
GET INVOLVED, VITAL WATFORD IS BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS, SUBMIT A COMMENT BELOW!
Win FREE pizza with Vital Football!
Select your team and get 50% off if they score twice.