Date:Friday January 11 2008
Just as things started to look up vaguely for Hornet's fierce rivals Luton Town, gaffer Kevin Blackwell has resigned.
Despite slipping into administration and past the cut-off point for any takeover bids, things were looking up for our M1 rivals who were sought after by former Golden Boy Graham Taylor hack, Matt Lorenzo and lifelong fan, Nick Owen.
However, they have today been hit by the news that Kevin Blackwell and his coaching structure of Sam Ellis and John Carver are resigning with a months notice. A months notice they didn't have to give considering the terms of their contracts at this time.
Luton are plunging dangerously and are heading towards a black hole, although there have been plans to re-form as 'Luton Town 2020 Football Club'.
Blackwell has cited the way the administrators have behaved with player sales as one of the reasons for his imminent departure:
'We [Blackwell, Carver and Ellis] came to Luton in the spring with a clear mission and it revolved around ambition, adequate investment for growth and real promise of a new stadium.
'It is now our belief that no possible future scenario for this club can match in any way shape or form what we came here to do
'Very quickly we found out that Luton Town Football Club did not do what it said on the tin.
'We have ended up managing a squad of players who do not know if they are being paid or have a future with the football club. This is becoming more relevant as we speak.
'It is not our role or intention to blame anybody for the state the club are in but we have face reality for ourselves.
'It is now our belief that no possible future scenario for this club can match in any way shape or form what we came here to do.
'Ironically we no longer have contracts that would require us to give notice but we are acutely aware that just to walk away would simply add to the short-term problems.
'We will therefore continue work under our basic terms and conditions for approximately one month, leaving the club after home game against Bournemouth on February 9.'
BBC 3CR sports editor Simon Oxley said: 'The club's in a state of chaos.
'[Blackwell, Ellis and Carver] don't want to walk out but they've had enough of players leaving.
'They had been assured players wouldn't be sold before the FA Cup replay against Liverpool but they've had the rug pulled from under their feet.'
To worsen this blow, the administrators have now accepted a bid for Dean Brill whilst young strike duo Calvin Andrew and Drew Talbot are in talks with Plymouth Argyle.
This on top of the departures of David Edwards and Chris Coyne yesterday.
One hopes that GT, Nick Owen or Matt Lorenzo are successful, and soon, it was funny to see them going into administration, but now it is clearly not a laughing matter.
Date:Friday January 11 2008
Talking Point: Lineup Against Everton (Wednesday July 29 2015)
Done Deal: Berghuis Becomes Tenth Summer Additon (Monday July 27 2015)
Aussie Legend Joins Watford Staff (Thursday July 23 2015)
FSF Urge Clubs To Reduce Away Ticket Prices (Friday July 17 2015)
Done Deal: McGugan Signs For Wednesday (Thursday July 16 2015)
Behrami On The Verge Of Watford Move (Thursday July 9 2015)
The Supporters Summit - Watford (Wednesday July 8 2015)
NEW: Away Games Site (Monday July 6 2015)
Capoue Excited By Hornets Challenge (Monday July 6 2015)
Done Deal: Watford Break Bank In Capoue Capture (Monday July 6 2015)
|20. West Ham||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Double Woodman Exit? Freddie Loan Confirmed
» Newcastle : 29/07/2015 20:51:00
|Wisdom Signs as Miquel Departs
» Norwich : 29/07/2015 20:06:01
|Chester Completes Move - No Diaby
» WBA : 29/07/2015 19:39:01
|Friendly - Walsall 0-2 Albion
» WBA : 29/07/2015 19:31:01
|Bilic Admits Song Interest Burns Bright
» West Ham : 29/07/2015 19:07:00