Date:Tuesday June 3 2008
Welcome back to my midweek memoirs - it`s been a few weeks since I wrote thanks to being interviewed for the Chelsea post! Don`t worry devout readers - I turned them down!
So, things to have slipped past my radar lately:
1. What did we learn from those two England friendlies? Despite seeing a few new faces [at last], especially Joe Hart, what did we learn from having our strongest available eleven fielded twice against two inferior sides? Nothing other than a couple of negatives - Wayne Rooney is scarcely international class, David Beckham is too old and we don`t have a natural, international level goalscorer. If we learnt this against low-level sides, imagine what we`d actually learn against top draw sides - less obvious things, like a style of play and a system that suits the players as well as giving the likes of Hart, Young, Wheater, Jagielka and Agbonlahor against a side of a high equivalent than Derby County.
I suppose the one positive is that Gareth Barry should be alongside Steven Gerrard for England [and possibly soon Liverpool].
2. Watford`s Board have no financial or business acumens. Slightly worrying when they`re meant to board members of a football club, one heck of a demanding business, but frankly the decision to let Nathan Ellington go out on loan with view to a free transfer beggars belief. As GloryHorns noted, '£3.25m-£0 in 8 months`! Don`t be fooled, we shouldn`t have paid that much in the first place, but to let him go on loan is crazy - get rid of him properly and reap the benefits of a transfer fee as apposed to 'a substantial loan fee`.
3. Derby County are building a new side, bloody quickly, Nathan Ellington, Kris Commons, Paul Green, Jordan Stewart and Paul Connolly have all signed for the Rams, where are our signings? No cash, fair enough, free transfers? Come on Aidy, the players are out there, not one of Derby`s signings required an actual fee afterall.
4. I`m undecided on the '6+5 Rule`. It sounds good in principle because afterall, we all moan that Arsenal have too many foreigners which are ruining our game and to blame for England`s failure - true, true, we`ve heard it all before, however, would you have Dom Blizzard or Cesc Fabregas centre mid for your side? Hmmm…point proven. Hence I`m undecided, perhaps we should hand out some more inequality - the Premier League like that [?] and just punish the top 6 with this rule to even out the playing field….
5. Two crazy sackings in close succession. Second best aint what Roman is used to, but come on, some painstakingly bad luck away from a League and European double - do me a favour and keep the faith [?!]. As for Sven, I think it has to be said that the City job is a poisoned chalice now Shinawatra is there pulling the strings - it seems poor Mark Hughes will now ruin his reputation there with a squad which is completely transfer listed and a dictating owner with no football knowledge. Shame.
Keep the faith!
Date:Tuesday June 3 2008
Two Goals In Two Minutes See Watford Beat Ipswich (Saturday April 19 2014)
Stats: Watford v Ipswich Town (Saturday April 19 2014)
Watford v Ipswich starting XIs (Saturday April 19 2014)
Preview: Watford v Ipswich Town (Saturday April 19 2014)
Opposing View: Ipswich Town (Friday April 18 2014)
Earlybird Season Ticket Sales (Friday April 18 2014)
Away From Home: What To Do About Late Goals? (Thursday April 17 2014)
Almunia Mistake Costs Watford At The Den (Saturday April 12 2014)
Stats: Millwall v Watford (Saturday April 12 2014)
Millwall v Watford starting XIs (Saturday April 12 2014)
|15. Sheff Wed||43||13||14||16||2||53|
|Preview: Owls v Charlton
» Sheff Wed : 20/04/2014 23:58:00
|One to Watch - Daniel Tözsér
» Q.P.R. : 20/04/2014 20:32:00
|LUFC Leeds Loan Watch - April 13th - 19th
» Leeds Utd : 20/04/2014 19:55:00
|Vela Stays With Magpies As Foxes Dismiss Davies
» Bolton : 20/04/2014 19:18:00
|LUFC Team News: Defender a doubt for McDermott
» Leeds Utd : 20/04/2014 19:12:00
|Brighton v Blackpool (Preview)
» Brighton : 20/04/2014 18:05:00
|DRFC Millwall v Doncaster Team News
» Doncaster : 20/04/2014 18:00:00